Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings


These glorious rings had a crispy and flavorful crust on the outside, and the onion inside the crust was slightly crunchy but tender and evenly flavored by the crust!
 I couldn't have been more pleased on how they turned out! 

Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings:
Serves: 6
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
What You'll Need:
  • or 4 Spanish-type onions
  • 3 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
What To Do:
  1. Peel onions and cut into 1/3-inch slices; separate into rings.
  2. Pour buttermilk into large shallow dish; add onion rings and soak for 30 minutes. 
  3. In a large shallow dish, combine flour, water, baking powder, salt, egg, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper; stir until smooth. 
  4. In a skillet, heat oil for frying on medium-high heat. Remove onion rings from buttermilk and dip into flour mixture; place in skillet and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain onion rings on paper towels
     Also:
    These rings come out crunchiest when made in an electric skillet, because it's easier to keep the oil at a consistent temperature.
    - - -

    My changes to this recipe:

    1. I used plain sweet onions instead of Spanish-type onions.
    2. It calls for vegetable oil, but I put coconut oil in its place. 

    But everything else I did how they said to do it! 



    (Sorry there aren't any more pictures! I wasn't able to take very many in between frying the onion rings!) :P

    The rings went well with our stir-fry dinner and my whole family enjoyed them!
     If you make them, I'd love it if you'd let me know and tell me how they turned out! :D

    Cheerio!
    -Melody-

8 comments:

  1. YUMMMY!!!! Those look amazing, and now I'm hungry, :) anyway deelishis post Melody great job. ♥
    Grace xxx ♥ :D :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Grace! I'm glad you think they look delicious! :)

    xoxo melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Those look absolutely yum. ;) Great job, Melody - you've made me want to try the recipe...quite badly.
    Tane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! They look soo good! Make me want some right now. :D I love all your pictures, how are they all so gorgeous!

    xo,
    Emm
    doodleandstories

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Emm! :) Yeah, I soaked the plain onion rings in buttermilk for a half an hour before coating them with the mix and frying them, so I think that helped on how light and puffy they turned out! Yes they were VERY good!! :D
    I don't know, it must be my camera I have! I'm glad you think they look good! :D

    xoxo melody
    (P.S Please check out my main and personal blog here:) http://myordinarylife-bymel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! They look just, ah! So YUM! :) If you don't mind me asking, what's the font you use for M's Journal on your header? ;) And I REALLY want to make these! :D

    Claire ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you think they look so delicious! Remember: soak them in buttermilk!! That helps a lot! xD And if you do make them, be sure to tell me how they were! :D
      Oh, sure! I'd be happy to tell you! I use PicMonkey: ( www.picmonkey.com )
      And on it I used the font: "Mossy"

      xoxo
      melody

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That's a lot of help! :) I think I will make them on the weekend. I will have to see ;)
      Claire♥

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading your notes you write to me! <3