Thursday, November 7, 2013

Dinner Served: Rib Eye Steak


This evening's dinner was very scrumptious.

 It was intended first to be a cubed teriyaki steak in a green bell pepper stir-fry, but after my mom and I hurried out to our chest freezer filled with beef to bring back the desired packages of steak to thaw for dinner, we discovered that our freezer wasn't working and that quite a few packages of the meat had thawed.

To put it plainly: not good!

But thankfully by the next hour, we had transported all the meat from the one freezer into the small spaces of the other freezers in our garage. I then made it inside our kitchen, my hands nicely numbed from the past hour, with two heavy packages of Rib Eye Steak and another package of pork steak, and found a recipe on the internet that I am pleased to say was quite tasty! :)

Cuban-Style Rib Eye Steaks


Ingredients:

  • 1 (tablespoon) garlic powder
  • 1 (tablespoon) onion powder
  • 1/2 (tablespoon) seasoning salt
  • 1 (tablespoon) meat tenderizer
  • 1 (medium) onion, sliced
  • 1 (12.0 ounce bottle) bottle of beer
  • 1 1/4 (cup) lime juice
  • 2 (pound) rib eye steak, 1/4 inch thick

Directions

  1. Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, meat tenderizer, and seasoning salt in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning blend into both sides of the steaks.
  2. Arrange 1/4 of the sliced onions in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan, lay steaks across the onions, top with more onions and pour 1/4 cup of lime juice and 1/4 of the bottle of beer over the top; repeat these layers with the rest of the steaks and ingredients. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Place steaks on broiling pan 3 inches from heat. Broil on both sides to desired degree of doneness; about 6-7 minutes total for medium rare. Allow steak to rest a minimum of 5 minutes before serving.
- - -

My changes to this recipe:

- It calls for meat tenderizer. If you have this, go ahead and use it, but I found a neat tip on the internet saying you can substitute that with 1 Tablespoon of White Vinegar...I love it when you find things like that! :)

- It calls for "a bottle of beer." I used what we had out in our fridge: one 11.0 oz. bottle of Guinness.

- I used lemon juice instead of lime juice.

- It says let marinade for at least 30 minutes. I marinaded mine probably for about 3 1/2 hours!

- The Rib-Eye steak we had was about 1/2" - 3/4" thick. And because of that, I cooked them for about 5-6 more minutes in our oven. 

- - -

The steak marinading.


The steak in the oven, ready to be flipped!
Since the beef we were using was from one of our bulls we butchered this year, the meat wasn't as tender as the recipe made it sound, but otherwise, it had a moist and delicious flavor! :) I served it with some homemade mashed potatoes and green salad, all three from our farm and garden! What a blessing!

Enjoy!
~Melody

(P.S This is my first post! Yay!) :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading your notes you write to me! <3